Does Walgreens take EBT is a common question people have when shopping for groceries.
The short answer is yes, Walgreens does accept EBT cards. You can use your EBT card to purchase groceries at any Walgreens store nationwide.
However, not all items are approved (see partial list below.)
Also, not all Walgreens accept EBT cards. However, there is a quick way to find out if your local Walgreens participates, so keep reading to get the details.
To use your EBT card, you will need to present it to the cashier at the time of checkout. You will also need to provide a government-issued photo ID.
Once your purchase has been approved, you can complete your transaction using your EBT card. Ask a store associate for assistance if you have questions about using your EBT card at Walgreens.
NOTE: This post may contain affiliate links. Read the disclosure for details.
Does Walgreens Accept EBT, WIC, or SNAP Food Stamps
The Walgreens chain accepts EBT, WIC, and SNAP food stamps in most locations. However, because not all locations are set up to accept this type of payment, it is important to check with your local store before you begin shopping and get to the checkout, only to find out your shopping has been a waste of time.
The challenge with getting everything you need using your EBT card is that Walgreens is not a grocery store but an all-purpose store that is predominantly considered a pharmacy. Therefore, they carry a limited selection of approved EBT grocery products.
The item categories in a Walgreens store are:
- Contact Lenses
- Personal Care
- Medicines & Treatments
- Vitamins & Supplements
- Home Health Care Solutions
- Household Essentials
- Home Goods
- Electronics & Office
- Toys, Games & Books
- Baby & Kids
- Gift Cards
- Sexual Awareness
- Fitness & Nutrition
Would you like to cut your grocery bill in half? Cheapest Groceries List: 70 Best Foods to Buy on a Low Budget
What is an EBT card?
EBT stands for Electronic Benefits Transfer. It is a method of payment used to pay for food along the same lines as food stamps. For a store to accept EBT, they must also accept food stamps by allowing their customers to utilize food stamp benefits.
An EBT card is a card that is issued to eligible recipients of government benefits. This card can be used like a debit card to purchase approved items at participating stores.
EBT cards are convenient because you do not need to carry cash to the store.
What is WIC, and Does Walgreens take WIC?
WIC, which stands for Women, Infants, and Children, is a supplemental nutrition program offered by the government that helps pregnant women, new mothers, and young children eat well and stay healthy.
Items you can purchase with WIC benefits at Walgreens:
- Infant formulas
- Infant cereals
- Breakfast cereals
- Peanut butter
- Canned fish
- Baby food containing vegetables, fruits, and meat
- bakery goods such as
- customs cakes
What is SNAP, and Does Walgreens Take SNAP?
SNAP is the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, which provides food assistance to low- and moderate-income households.
It is a government assistance program designed to help people buy the food they need for good health.
Do you love to save money?
The following posts can save you thousands of dollars a year!
- 57 Smart Ways to Spend Less on Food
- Jump to #24 if you want to cut your grocery bill immediately!
- Cheapest Groceries List: 70 Best Foods to Buy on a Tight Budget
- Hint: Stock up on #62 for the best but cheapest meals!
- 160 Best Frugal Living Tips to Save Money Today
- Hop to #21 for massive savings at the grocery store!
How To Find a Walgreens That Accepts EBT Near Me
Walgreens is located nationwide and throughout most cities, making it a common question to ask, “Does Walgreens accept EBT?”
In fact, as of August 2020, Walgreens operates over 9,000 stores throughout the United States, District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, making it likely there is one located in your neighborhood.
There are several ways you can find out if your local Walgreens participates in the government food stamp program.
- Visit the Walgreens website and go to ‘find a store.’ Once you locate Walgreens stores in your area, you can call them and ask before heading out.
- Go into the store and ask a manager or sales associate. If you shop in Walgreens frequently, simply ask when you are there. Otherwise, stop by one during errands and run inside to inquire.
- Request a list of stores that accept EBT cards in your area from your local SNAP agency. Your SNAP representative should be able to provide an updated and current list of approved retailers.
Items that Can be Purchased at Walgreens with Your EBT Card
If your local Walgreens accepts EBT as payment, the following products are eligible for purchase:
- Meat such as
- Dairy products such as
- Potato chips
- Soft drinks
- Energy drinks such as
- Red Bull
- Monster Energy
- Frozen food such as
- Frozen fruit
- Frozen Vegetables
- Canned goods
- Fresh foods
- Snacks such as
- Wafers and non-alcoholic soft drinks
- Drinks such as
- Non-alcoholic soft drinks
- Frozen canned and fresh fruits and vegetables
- Cooking oils such as
- Coconut oil
- Olive oil
- Avocado oil
- Food-producing seeds and plants
- Filtered water
For a complete list of SNAP-approved foods, visit your state EBT website or contact your local SNAP agency.
Does Walgreens accept EBT with online orders?
Using your EBT card on a Walgreens online order is not possible. It will not be an option when you go to the checkout to pay for your order.
Can I use my Walgreens EBT card for pickup?
No, your Walgreens EBT card cannot be used for pickup. You will need to check out with another form of payment when you order online for pickup.
How to Know if You have Cash Benefits on Your EBT Card
You can check your EBT card balance to find out the available amount.
Follow these steps to check your EBT card balance:
- Check your most recent receipt. Each time you make an EBT purchase, your remaining and available balance is printed at the bottom.
- Call the customer service number for your state’s EBT program. Each state has its own EBT contact phone number. It is located on the back of your card.
- Login to ebtEdge and go to Cardholder Login to view your balance, review transactions, or get a replacement card.
- Download the mobile app on your smartphone for your state if there is one available. Use the app to check your available cash balance.
How to Use Your EBT Card to Get Cash at a POS (Point of Sale) Machine
- Verify with the store clerk that you can withdraw EBT cash benefit funds at that location.
- Ask if there is a fee before you proceed (you may want to go to another store if there is a cost to withdrawing the money.)
- Swipe your EBT card through the POS terminal or hand it to the clerk for processing.
- Enter your four-digit PIN (Personal Identification Number) on the keypad.
- The terminal will show **** instead of the number you entered.
- Press the ‘Enter’ key.
- Tell the clerk the amount of cash you want to receive.
- Verify the amount of cash you are getting back is correct, then press ‘OK’ or ‘Yes’ on the keypad.
- Take your receipt, which will show:
- Store name
- Store address
- Amount of your cash withdrawal
- Your remaining cash account balance
- Put your receipt in a safe place to keep. You can refer to it if you need to know your available account balance for your next transaction.
Can I let someone use my EBT card for me?
You can let other household members use your EBT card.
Each person is assigned their own PIN (Personal Identification Number), and then the card is available to pay for the items the same as when a debit card is the method of payment.
You might also like: 20 Free Printable Budget Templates for 2022 (no email signup required!)
Can You Return Food Bought with EBT at Walgreens?
If you’re unsatisfied with a food product you purchased using your EBT card, you can return it to the store where you bought it. The store will then give you a refund for the purchase price of the item.
You’ll need to have your receipt and the food product to return an item. The store will not give you a refund if you don’t have these two things.
Items that cannot be Purchased at Walgreens Using Your EBT Card
Not all products can be purchased with the government program. This means using your EBT card requires the items to be on the approved list.
The following products are not eligible for purchase using your EBT card:
- Tobacco products
- Alcohol (beer, liquor, wine)
- Prepared food that is hot and ready to eat
- Vitamins and supplements
- Non-food items such as
- Cleaning products
- Pet food
- Office supplies
You might also like: $15 an Hour is How Much a Year [Includes 2022 Budget Guide]
Does Walgreens Accept EBT Cards Final Thoughts
While it may seem like a limited selection of available products if you like to shop at Walgreens, the items available for purchase using an EBT card can help you and your family get the food and other necessary household supplies that you need.
Be sure to check your state’s program for updates on what is available for purchase and any changes to the store list.
The following video explains how the EBT card works in the state of Missouri. However, most states operate in a similar manner.
More from Smart Mom HQ
- Routing Number for Chase Bank – Ultimate Transaction Guide for 2023
- 10 Best Budget Planner Book Choices: Take Control in 2023
- Cheapest Groceries List: 70 Best Foods to Buy on a Tight Budget in 2023
- 57 Simple Ways to Spend Less on Food in 2023
How to Pay Bay Area Bridge Tolls (Quickest Ways)
What Is an Amazon Hub Counter (And How to Use It)
How Old Do You Have to Be to Work at Target
Do ATMs Ever Close or Are ATMs Always Open 24/7?
How Old Do You Have to Be to Work at Starbucks
16 Cheap Ways to Block Neighbors View for Total Backyard Privacy
How to be an Airbnb Host without Owning Property
Are Costco Executive Membership Hours Worth It [Updated for 2023]
How Much Does a Pedicure Cost in 2023